
The Video is the progression of Day One. My process is pretty basic, I start by mixing a pool of Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine Blue. I use a six cup cupcake pan for a palette at this point, it makes it easy to load up the brush and its less messy. With in the first 10 mins I will try to block in the composition and basic drawing (min 1:24 in the video). Then I added more of the two colors together causing the mix to become thicker, leaning towards the cooler side. I establish my darks, keeping in mind the direction of the light.
Once I am satisfied with the drawing, I mix up a blue-gray by adding white to my mixture (still using the cupcake pan). Then I lay in the ground. Since the waves are receding away from the shore I try to add what will be the sky color to the ground near the water. After the ground and water is in I begin to block in the sky.
When I paint skies I will limit my palette and just think about value and shapes. I never really know how the sky will look when I start, its one of those things you figure out as you go. I often find the clouds in between brush strokes and either enhance them or paint over them. From that point in the video, you will see a time-lapse. Since it was mostly detail work and reworking, I condensed it.
If you have any questions for me please send me an email or leave a comment below. Thanks.